Position title: Finance Officer
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Immediate Supervisor: Controller
Language proficiency: Bilingual in English and French
Salary: Commensurate with experience (eligible to participate in Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP) and Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP))
Note: Must already be eligible to work legally in Canada (visa support cannot be provided)
Deadline for applications: Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Anticipated start date: ASAP
We offer an opportunity to join a multicultural, value-driven, highly experienced, dynamic, and growing team of international development professionals. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package, including enrolment in the Canadian Federal Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) and the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP). The Parliamentary Centre and ParlAmericas encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
As sister organizations, the Parliamentary Centre and ParlAmericas have an integrated finance and admin team. Reporting to the Controller, the Finance Officer will provide transactional financial reporting, payroll, statutory filing, and bookkeeping support for both organizations. This position is ideal for an adaptable, proactive individual with a strong willingness to learn who enjoys working in a fast-paced, multicultural environment.
The Parliamentary Centre and ParlAmericas offer a dynamic, open-concept office/hybrid work environment, requiring good communication and close collaboration amongst all staff. This position shall be based in the Ottawa office, located within the Parliamentary precinct, with the possibility of a hybrid home/office work schedule.
- Implement day-to-day accounting activities, processes and procedures, and month/year-end closing processes that contribute towards the preparation of complete, accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with funder contracts, organizational policies and Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for not-for-profit organizations.
- Support payroll processing.
- Produce financial reports.
- Support budgeting and forecasting for projects.
- Assist with annual corporate and periodic project audits.
- Implement and enforce internal controls, policies and procedures.
- Liaise with service providers as requested to set up new services or resolve finance-related issues.
- Provide guidance, such as orientation training, to other staff, including in-country representatives to ensure transactions adhere to and are in compliance with organizational financial policies, funders’ contracts, and Canadian GAAP.
- Proactively identify areas where process improvements may be realized
- Undertake other duties to support colleagues as required.
- Bilingual in English and French (required).
- Completion of college diploma and/or certification in Accounting or Business Administration.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration is an asset.
- A CPA designation (or one in progress) is an asset.
- Minimum 4 (four) years of accounting experience, preferably with international NGOs and not-for-profit organizations.
- Experience in international development (Global Affairs Canada, European Union, etc.) financial grant management and project financial reporting highly desirable.
- Strong financial acumen and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with colleagues at all levels.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and have demonstrated excellence in organizing and prioritizing workflow to ensure financial processes and reporting are timely and accurate.
- Demonstrated ability to complete work with minimum supervision and within required deadlines.
- Highly computer literate with advanced knowledge of MS Excel, MS Office Suite, and finance system automation; knowledge of the Sage Accpac accounting system considered an asset.
To apply submit your cover letter and CV through our online system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.