Senior Finance Officer
Language requirements: English essential
We are looking for a Senior Finance Officer to work closely with our Controller and VP of Finance and Human Resources in all financial reporting areas. This is a full-time position in a creative environment with a supportive and collaborative international team based out of our Ottawa office. We offer a flexible working arrangement and the opportunity for professional growth and development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the accurate and timely review of DOT’s financial transactions, including payments, and bank reconciliation. Working closely with our VP of Finance and Human Resources and Controller, the Senior Officer will support DOT’s financial reporting requirements and provide oversight to the work of a Junior Finance Officer and the monthly review of our remote offices.
The successful candidate will bring a strong financial background to the role, ideally with an appreciation for international development. You possess a strong spirit for community service and share DOT’s passion for the role of youth in creating a better world.
- Ensure that all vendor payments and documentation meet the requirements of internal controls and audit verifications
- Organize all expense reports and remittances to employees and ensure all related documentation meets the requirements of internal controls and audit verification
- Verify that all bank, investment, corporate credit cards, and other balance sheet accounts are complete and accurate
- Review monthly financial procedures for all country offices in a timely manner, to ensure they are accurate and complete
- Ensure that the revenue recognition process is completed for all projects in a timely and accurate basis
- Provide analysis of expenditures for reporting units, preparation of ad hoc reports as required internally and the preparation of reports to external funders and other statutory reporting
- Assist the country offices with accounting matters as required
- Must have a university degree in Commerce, Business Administration or a related field. CPA designation is an asset but not a requirement for the role.
- At least two years of accounting experience within a corporate or NFP environment.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with the application of accounting principles and practices.
- Strong data entry skills with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated flexibility in prioritizing tasks in order to fulfill duties and meet deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with particular ability in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Must be a team player with the ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Able to work with confidential information in a discreet and professional manner.
- Effective at identifying potential financial issues and presenting one or more solutions for consideration.
- Able to manage conflicting time constraints through ongoing communication with supervisors.
- Experience with complex accounting systems. Multi-location, multi-currency experience is highly desirable but not a requirement.
What DOT Offers:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Flexible working arrangements
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Contribution towards childcare expenses due to travel demands
- Opportunity to work with a dynamic global team committed to youth and systems change
The position will remain open until filled; interviews will begin on June 25th.
Please include a copy of your resume and cover letter in your application. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
DOT is an equal opportunity employer and accommodates people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.