***Only candidates with a valid Canadian work permit will be considered***
Job Title: Project Officer
Sector: Governance and Economic Reform
Position Type: Full-Time
Duration/Level of Effort: Permanent
Position Location: Montreal or Ottawa with remote work
Reports to: Project Director
Cowater’s Governance and Economic Reform (GER) division focus on in improving governance and public sector management in developing countries. The division provides technical assistance to governments in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. This aims to ensure sound management of public services, reduce poverty, and improve the wellbeing of citizens. In addition, our work promotes sustainable growth and inclusive economic development by strengthening trade policy development, trade and investment facilitation, and the business enabling environment. GER implements projects across the world and works with a diversified set of development donors, including the UK’s Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, Global Affairs’ Canada, the European Union, the World Bank, and others. Cowater further counts on a dynamic and diverse team of professionals committed to designing and implementing projects that deliver lasting results for the clients and countries with it whom it works.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The GER Division is looking for dynamic candidates with a strong interest in governance, public sector management, and international development to join its team as a Project Officer in either Montreal or Ottawa. The role is designed to provide a variety of experiences for the candidate to encourage growth. The Project Officer will work with Cowater directors / managers and field teams, to provide support in the design, monitoring, and delivery of development projects, as well as provide support to business development and the preparation of proposals. This will include work in multiple thematic sectors around governance and public financial management, including for example budget and revenue management, tax policy, anti-corruption and accountability, or in a more cross-cutting manner in decentralization, extractive governance, climate change, or monitoring, evaluation and learning. Depending on the quality of the applications, Cowater could fill more than one position.
- Support/carry out research and analysis that will aid in the design of projects and proposals;
- Contribute to the development of innovative and successful approaches to proposals and projects, including identifying potential members of the proposed team and consortium partners;
- Coordinate/Participate in business development missions and the development of new project concepts;
- Contribute to the preparation of documents for proposals, including ensuring full compliance with donor requirements.
Project management and implementation:
- Support project directors/managers to coordinate project activities, including planning and coordinating meetings, management of external experts, and the preparation of project deliverables;
- Collaborate with the project teams in the execution of daily implementation tasks, including coordination of field visits, monitoring and evaluation, risk management, etc.;
- Provide support in the preparation, submission, and quality control of donor reports, technical reports, or related presentations that meet Cowater and the donor’s standards;
- Carry out research in support of the realization of certain project activities;
- Support the development and monitoring of project budgets;
- Support the planning and establishment of travel arrangements for field missions as necessary;
- Perform additional tasks according to the needs of the team.
Human Resource Management:
- Provide human resource management support including for the recruitment of consultants and personnel as well as administrative support to long-term field personnel;
- Assist the Project Managers/Directors in obtaining and monitoring timesheets, expense claims, and invoices, from consultants;
- Work closely with Project Directors/Managers to draft and/or revise all contracts and contract amendments, ensuring they are in line with the program’s objectives;
- Organize the orientation for new project team members, in coordination with Project Directors/Managers.
- A master's degree in a relevant discipline (i.e. project management, economics, political science, international development, business administration, etc.) or equivalent experience.
Required skills and abilities:
- At least 2 years of professional experience in international development, consulting, or public policy analysis;
- Knowledge of international development and the design and/or delivery of projects in developing countries;
- Proven skills in research, analysis, and report writing, including writing and reviewing (quality control) project reports and proposals;
- Proven ability to coordinate project activities;
- Fluency in French and English;
- Excellent writing (reports, work plans, proposals) and presentation skills in French and English;
- Mastery of the most common IT tools (MS Word, Excel, PPT, Teams);
- Good organizational skills, a focus on results;
- Strong learning skills;
- Ability to take initiatives and collaborate effectively with colleagues;
- Capacity to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Experience and/or knowledge in either public sector or local government management, budget management, taxation, or governance at the national or international level;
- Proficiency in a third language (Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Swahili, other regional languages)
Conditions of employment:
- This position is full-time and permanent, based in either Montreal or Ottawa.
- In the current context of the Covid-19 health crisis, the functions will be carried out from home until hybrid working arrangement between home and office can resume.
- International travel: 4-6 times a year for project management needs, technical interventions, and / or for the development of proposals.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, or by March 20th on our Careers Page. For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as follows: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Cowater International is an equal opportunity employer, basing employment on merit and qualifications as they relate to professional experience and position expectations. Cowater does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, disability, age, or any other basis protected by law.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.