TFO Canada is currently recruiting for a full-time Project Manager position located in Ottawa (1-year term position). The successful candidate will be the Project Manager responsible for the day-to-day implementation and monitoring of projects within the Africa region. The role includes regular communication with partners and consultants (research, training, and women economic empowerment experts as well as sector/market specialists and subject matter experts). The Project Manager also supports his/her Director with the preparation of donor reports, new program proposals and related business development activities as/when required.
The Project Manager will be responsible for managing trade development projects such as trade missions and seminars on the Canadian market and for maintaining relationships with trade support institutions and Canadian-based trade representatives for developing countries within the African regions.
Reports to the Program Director – Africa
Project implementation, monitoring & evaluation (40%):
- Managing, and participating as required, in the execution of trade-related technical assistance and capacity building projects/activities such as seminars, training courses, workshops, trade missions, including trade fairs, in Canada and abroad;
- Monitoring ongoing project implementation by consultants and partners including conducting overseas monitoring and evaluation missions where appropriate;
- Contributing to the development of annual planning and budgeting processes with inputs/information pertinent to the role of PM Africa;
- Collaborating with team members for the delivery of multi-country initiatives;
- Preparing and delivering periodic seminars/webinars on exporting to Canada and on TFO Canada’s services to developing country exporters and TSIs in Canada and abroad;
- Reviewing Market Information Papers and other Canadian Market Access Services content;
- Ensuring gender equality is mainstreamed into project planning and delivery; and
- Handling inquiries received from developing country exporters and trade support institutions.
Reporting & Financial Management (20%):
- Developing and monitoring project budgets and disbursements to partners and overseeing related project administration in collaboration with TFO Canada’s support staff;
- Providing support to partners to ensure they produce required financial and narrative reports;
- Producing financial forecasts in coordination with TFO Canada’s accounting department;
- Ensuring the collection, analysis and reporting of project impact data and contributing the lessons learned and success stories; and
- Preparing project activity and outcome reports (including conducting surveys) respecting donor reporting format and timeline.
HR management and administration (20%):
- Identifying suitable consultants and volunteers, contributing to the recruitment process (including preparing contracts);
- Managing and evaluating the performance of consultants and volunteers;
- Coordinating the activities of project consultants (TFO Canada Associates), partners and suppliers to ensure the successful implementation and management of TFO Canada’s trade-related technical assistance and capacity building projects;
- Preparing sub-project agreements and maintaining all relevant project documents (contracts, correspondence, approvals, budgets, workplans, invoices, etc.) in both hard and virtual filing system;
- Ensuring logistical and related support to project consultants; and
- Working with and contributing to the performance reviews of Project Officers.
Program Monitoring and Evaluation (15%):
- Coordinating semi-annual reporting and planning processes and
- Supporting the roll up of program wide results for semi-annual reports.
Other duties (5%)
- Representing TFO Canada at embassy/high commission/Canadian universities/associations and other events.
- Performs other duties as required related to the successful execution of TFO Canada’s mission.
- Eligible to be employed in Canada
- Master’s degree in International Development, International Trade or a related field
- At least five (5) years of combined project management experience in an international development organization, international trade promotion organization (export marketing, importing/sourcing, trade development support services for exporters) or project management organization (including planning, budgeting, procurement and contracting of external service providers, monitoring & reporting)
- Bilingual (English/French)
- Strong willingness and ability to travel within Canada and internationally (6-8 weeks per year)
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills in both English and French, and report writing in English
- Excellent computer application skills, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as some experience working with database applications
- Strong understanding and experience in results-based reporting and impact measurement
- Strong understanding of gender equality and ability to incorporate gender equality concepts in your work
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage multiple stakeholder relations
- Well organized, self-starter and independent worker
- Able to work well in a team and in a fast-paced environment
It is a mandatory condition of employment at TFO Canada that the successful candidate be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with vaccines that have been approved by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to their start date and will be required to provide proof. If accommodation is required in relation to this condition of employment, please advise.
The future of work at TFO Canada includes a hybrid work model; therefore, this role will be a combination of virtual and on-site work. They are also required to be able to work from home/remotely, from within Canada. All in-office work and in-person meetings for work that take place inside and/or outside of the offices located in Ottawa will be subject to TFO Canada’s health and safety procedures.
$57,000 to $74,000
Applications including a cover letter and a current C.V. should be sent with PM – Africa in the subject line. All applications should be received by e-mail no later than midnight, Wednesday, September 21, 2022 to:
TFO Canada 130 Slater Street, Suite 400 Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6E2 firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
TFO Canada improves lives through the creation of sustainable trade partnerships for exporters from developing countries with Canadian and foreign buyers.
TFO Canada confronts the challenge of global poverty by promoting sustainable economic development through export information, advice and contact. TFO Canada facilitates access to foreign markets and shares Canadian trade expertise for the benefit of smaller exporters in developing countries. Founded in 1980, TFO Canada is a non-governmental, non-profit organization.
TFO Canada strives to ensure gender equality for men and women in their participation in TFO Canada’s programs, projects, and activities, and also in TFO Canada’s employment, contracting and management opportunities.
As a signatory to the Canadian Centre of Expertise on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (DIGNA) and to the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada's International Cooperation Sector, TFO Canada has the moral, ethical and legal responsibility towards its staff, beneficiaries and clients and applies a zero-tolerance approach.
For more information on TFO Canada visit www.tfocanada.ca