Overview of the Role:
An excellent opportunity for an experienced, highly-motivated individual to work for the Trade Facilitation and Customs programme (Tasdeer), in close cooperation with the British Consulate Jerusalem (BCG). The Innovation Manager will help develop unique and value-driven programmes designed to assist in the cultivation of a sustainable Palestinian tech ecosystem and export services. The position will be recruited under the UK-funded Tasdeer programme (implemented by a Cowater International-led consortium). Tasdeer aims to improve Palestinian trade and customs, supporting government institutions and private sector firms. The position will contribute to delivering increased exports in IT services, in accordance with the programme’s objectives to improve trade and exports.
The Innovation Manager will be responsible for identifying strategic partnership opportunities and contacts, initiating and organising activities and platforms for collaboration and community building, recruiting and convening an advisory board bi-annually, and delivering results for mutually beneficial links between Palestinian entrepreneurs and British companies. The Innovation Manager will work in conjunction with colleagues in British Consulate Jerusalem, alongside counterparts in the UK to achieve project outcomes.
Tasdeer and the Tech Hub are part of the Consulate’s “Supporting Economic Empowerment and Development in the Palestinian Territories” (SEED) programme. As such, the role will report jointly to Tasdeer’s Team Leader and the British Consulate-General’s Senior Responsible Officer (SRO) for SEED. The successful candidate is expected to be based in Jerusalem and Ramallah with frequent travel to other parts of the West Bank and Gaza (where possible). Some travel to the UK will also be expected.
- Responsible for delivering UK support to the Palestinian tech sector delivering on an ambitious strategy, identifying new strategic partnerships and pursuing business opportunities to accelerate entrepreneurship in the Palestinian sector locally and in the UK.
- Develop and implement an annual detailed workplan and budget, with clear output and outcome indicators.
- Build, maintain and further expand on existing networks within the Palestinian-tech ecosystem. Organise offline tech events and meetups to serve the project vision.
- Build and maintain sector expertise and a network of contacts with relevant decision-makers, companies, entrepreneurs, experts and investors in the UK and potentially with third countries.
- Manage a Project budget and maintain it on a monthly and annual basis, produce budget reports internally as well as to external funding partners.
- Build the capacity of Palestinian companies to be able to penetrate the UK market and attract VCs.
- Provide market information about the UK market to the Palestinian Companies.
- Provide information about the Palestinian startups to the UK VC's.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English and Arabic.
- BA required, MA or higher preferred. Preferably in economics or business or technology fields.
- More than 5 years of experience working in the tech sector, business development, digital marketing, consulting, project management.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in project management, including budget management.
- Experience in community management and/or community building.
- Willingness to travel regularly to peripheral parts of the country and occasionally to the UK.
- Strong presentation skills (oral and written).
- Bringing a relevant personal business network from the Palestinian territories and internationally– a strong plus.
- Experience organising events – a strong plus.
- International experience (working or studying) – a strong plus.
- A self-starter attitude; initiative and creativity, “out of the box” thinking.
- A positive, energetic, optimistic attitude, and not afraid to roll up your sleeves.
- Excellent team player, able to interact cross-functionally and remotely at different levels and adapt to the cultural nuances between different audiences within different cultures within Palestinian territories and in the UK.
- Strong business acumen and organisational skills.
- Highly motivated, passionate about innovation and technology.
- Open and clear communicator, excellent networking skills including across cultures.
- A track record of success and demonstrated ability to deliver results.
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a small, agile, ambitious team – a “start-up within government”.
Reporting Lines and Managerial Responsibilities
- This role reports jointly to the British Consulate-General’s (Jerusalem) Senior Responsible Owner for the SEED programme and the Tasdeer Team Leader.
- This contract is initially for 12-months, which may be extended subject to review and funding availability.
- This position is expected to be based in Jerusalem and Ramallah Project-related travel is expected in other parts of the West Bank and Gaza (where possible). Some travel to the UK will also be expected.
How to Apply
- Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday 26th, 2021
- Candidates must submit a CV and a personal statement. The CV and personal statement must demonstrate that they have undertaken similar roles and activities as shown in the overview of the role and responsibilities sections above. The Personal Statement (not exceeding 1500 words) demonstrating why the applicant meets the job needs including:
- Demonstration of evidence of Civil Service Behaviours equivalent to level 3 (maximum 250 words per behaviour; up to 1,000 words total for four behaviours) including Seeing the Big Picture, Working Together, Making Effective Decisions, Communicating & Influencing.
- Demonstration of evidence of in-depth knowledge and experience in the IT sector and business development (up to 250 words).
Assessment Criteria at Interview
- Interviews will focus on the behaviours and competencies from the personal statement. Further questions on the candidate’s experience may be asked.
 Success Profiles Civil Service Behaviours https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.