Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a Director, Corporate & Creative Communications to join our dedicated and talented Corporate & Creative Communications team in our mission to create business solutions to poverty!
MEDA’s work is built on a foundation of Mennonite business roots and faith-based values, within the global context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We believe business solutions are effective interventions to address poverty. Through a market-systems approach and strategic partnerships, MEDA enables access to finance and provides business and technical expertise to build transformative agri-food market systems that create decent jobs, allowing traditionally excluded groups to become active participants in a sustainable economy. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
The Director, Corporate and Creative Communications will lead the communication team which exists as a valuable resource and trusted partner to the other teams within Marketing & Development, Executive Office as well as all other MEDA Divisions. Reporting to the Senior VP, Strategy & Impact, he/she will be expected to create an effective, engaging web presence; the production of high-quality research documents; the MEDAzine monthly email newsletter; an engaging social media presence on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram; a consistent brand image in all aspects; support for proposals and project deliverables for the programs teams; promoting learning products; developing collateral pieces, project videos, earned media coverage; and speeches and key written communications for our President and CEO.
- Job Status: Full-Time
- Start Date: November 2023
- Location: Hybrid/Remote within Canada or US
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Editing/Writing and Content Development (25%)
- Accountable to create written content that supports, enhances and establishes the outcomes intended for the Communication Strategy.
- Ghostwrite scripts, articles, emails and talking points for President & CEO speaking engagements, key internal and external written and electronic communications, strategically using key messages to further the President’s leadership and vision.
- Strategically plan and manage an Annual report that accurately portrays the work of previous fiscal year, designed for maximum impact to a wide audience of both private, institutional, and potential donors.
- Advise on the production of Advertisements, promotional material, job placements
- Author and oversee content for MEDA website, particularly high impact pages such as news articles, about us, home page, and crisis responses.
- Explore and expand channels for MEDA blog content to expand MEDA’s audience
- Develop MEDA news release copy, and distribute to relevant media outlets
- Video creation: develop concept, write/ direct script, collaborate with internal stakeholders, manage production via contracted videographer or internal resource, for Year in review, MEDA moments for Convention, and high-level brand videos.
Communications Strategy (15%)
- Define, develop and implement MEDA communication plan to support the corporate-wide strategic marketing themes
- Develop and implement MEDA corporate communications strategy, enhance image and refine internal and external communications and key messaging
- Ensure positive reputation management of MEDA through active daily media monitoring, raising concerns to ELT, and making informed recommendations based on communications expertise and best practice
- Utilize Crisis Communications expertise to advise on internal and external communication plans when faced with issues management, advising on critical components and refining messages to minimize negative impact, working with the Crisis Management Team as needed.
- Develop and implement MEDA external communication strategy that includes quality content from our programs, MEDAzine monthly email, Blog posts, news articles, and institutional donor newsletter.
- Chair monthly Editorial Content meetings to strategically collaborate on upcoming content needs and plan future thought leadership communications
- Coordinate the internal and external rollout of MEDA strategic plans and ongoing communication of key initiatives and support internal communications needs
- Implement board-approved brand strategies
- Establish and monitor standards to ensure consistent MEDA image and branding
- Refresh and recommend updates to brand strategy as needed based on market research
Project & Creativity Management (15%)
- Coordinate with Regional Directors, Strategy and Impact colleagues and relevant ELT members to strategically manage upcoming content needs
- Effectively manage internal graphic design and website requests through the Marketing Task Request (MTR) list, ensuring MTRs are reviewed, prioritized, assigned, tracked and responded to.
- Manage agencies and communications freelancer providers to secure specialized skills and capacity for peak workloads.
- Directly oversee projects from more complex MTRs requiring multi-disciplinary support
- Manage MEDA’s Digital Assets
- Ensure brand standards are upheld across the organization
Social Media Management & Content Support (15%)
- Develop, implement, and oversee the execution of an integrated and cohesive social media approach across the entire organization, on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. A particular focus will be on leveraging LinkedIn to expand MEDA’s connections with key stakeholders.
- Recommend social media posts for the President & CEO – re-share as appropriate from strategic “follows” such as the heads of target granting institutions.
- Report monthly on key trends and statistics; share recommendations based on analysis with relevant stakeholders by function or topic
- Advise on best practices related to current trends, growing followers and increasing engagement
Website Management & Content Support (15%)
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and administration of MEDA’s website.
- Report monthly on key statistics, aligning with MEDA’s KPIs to demonstrate the Positioning pillar of Strategic Plan.
- Oversee designing, content layout, coding, testing, and maintaining a web presence that effectively supports MEDA’s marketing and communications strategies and activities while remaining consistent with our brand and messaging.
- Manage and make complex decisions related to MEDA’s online presence, analyzing many different factors, and competing priorities, ensuring consistency, professionalism, appropriate language, and accessibility across each page, while incorporating visually engaging design and UX best practices.
- Oversee the Mastercard Foundation Africa Growth Fund website.
- Design with user experience, user journey (calls to action) and SEO to maximize click-through and minimize bounce rate.
- Advise on best practices for web presence, microsites, interactive components of digital experience.
Staff Management/Team Leadership (15%)
- Supervision and management of the whole communications team, ensuring an environment that allows for open and honest communication amongst team, effective management of responsibilities and deliverables, and aligns with MEDA’s values and organizational culture.
- Ensure strong collaboration amongst team members both within Marketing & Development and more broadly with MEDA as a whole.
- Conduct all recruitment and selection, carry out all requirements for effective and timely performance management, ensure staff continue to grow and develop appropriate skills and core competencies.
- Develop new techniques and processes to ensure smooth workflows and increased collaboration and cohesion amongst team members.
Education: University degree, ideally a Masters, in business, creative communications, media relations, journalism or a related field
Experience: Proven track record of at least 7 years of experience as a senior communications professional, including people and project management in creative communications, media relations, report writing, and editing. Knowledge of the international development sector and additional language skills are an asset
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Contract management experience
- Team leadership and organization skills
- Advanced writing, editing and communication skills
- Proficiency in Adobe suite software an asset.
- Understanding and working knowledge of Content Management Systems, web platforms and other systems related to keeping the website online, backed up, and secure.
- Strong project management skills
- Awareness of current marketing and digital communication trends.
- Judgement and creativity in acquisition, development and assessment of media sources.
- Familiarity with MEDA’s individual and institutional funder constituencies, including: bi- and multi- lateral government agencies, individual, institutional, financial donors, non-governmental organizations and other development agencies
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Please apply here by Tuesday, September 26, 2023 by 4:00 pm Eastern Time
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.