Communications Officer Farm Radio International
Position Title: Communications Officer Farm Radio International
Position Location: Ottawa
Reports to: Manager, Communications and Knowledge Management
Contract term: 1 year, 5 days/week
Application Deadline: May 13, 2018
Farm Radio International is a Canadian registered charity that is managed by World University Services of Canada. It is a unique and innovative NGO that partners with African radio stations to develop and broadcast highly effective communication services that lead to improved food security, health and resiliency for smallholder farmers and rural communities. Over 20 million African farmers benefit directly from our work.
Farm Radio counts on the charitable contributions of thousands of individual Canadians, small foundations and large international donors. Our communications team leads FRI in showcasing our innovative work to Canadians and international audiences alike online and in print. We are seeking an energetic, creative, well-organized individual with exceptional communication /writing skills to join our team as a Communications Officer.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Communications Officer will be FRI’s primary contact for producing and distributing stories, blog posts, and social media content about FRI’s work.
1. Writing, Editing and Distributing Key Communication Products
- Writing newsletter (Tuning In) 3 times a year
- Drafting, editing and distributing monthly e-newsletter
- Supervised by Communications Manager, drafting, editing and designing (with FRI Graphic Designer) online annual report, and drafting and editing printed annual report
- Managing social media, including procuring/editing weekly blog posts and regular Facebook/Instagram/Twitter posts
- Coordinate professional translation of all material (French/English)
2. Media monitoring
- Monitor print and radio media that may carry a story or air an interview
- Develop media packages including press releases or story/interview ideas
- Follow-up to secure stories/interviews
- Co-manage the corporate website, annual report website and other special topic websites hosted by FRI
- Oversee ongoing updates to corporate website
- Work with FRI staff on content updates to new corporate website to be launched in 2018
4. Other support
- Work with the FRI Knowledge Management Team on editing of midterm and final reports when necessary
- Provide support to the FRI Fundraising Department as needed for review of fundraising appeals and other key documents
- Help in marketing and promoting key FRI events in conjunction with the fundraising team (curling bonspiel, World Radio Day, African Harvest etc.)
- Maintenance and distribution of FRI’s visual identity and writing guide (in conjunction with Communications Manager and Designer)
Specialized studies in communications or journalism
Skills and Experience
We are looking for a Communications Officer that has exceptional English writing skills as well as familiarity with various social media and web platforms. In particular, the Communications Officer will offer:
- High quality story-writing skills in English
- Expert familiarity with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and social media analytics
- Familiarity with WordPress website publishing
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Google AdWords and SEO principles
- Basic understanding of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Oral and written fluency in English is essential, and fluency in French is an asset.
- Creative approaches to using social media, new partnerships and compelling digital campaigns to raise the organization’s profile
- Excellent organizational skills – disciplined self-starter
- Experience in International Development, Global Issues and at non-profits an asset
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.
Human Resources Officer
Agente des ressources humaines
t: 1.613.761.3685 | e: email@example.com