Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a Proposal Writer to join our dedicated and talented Partnerships and Business Development team in our mission to create business solutions to poverty!
MEDA’s work is built on a foundation of Mennonite business roots and faith-based values, within the global context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We believe business solutions are effective interventions to address poverty. Through a market-systems approach and strategic partnerships, MEDA enables access to finance and provides business and technical expertise to build transformative agri-food market systems that create decent jobs, allowing traditionally excluded groups to become active participants in a sustainable economy. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
The Proposal Writer supports MEDA’s business development activities by creating effective, audience-focused, new business proposals and donor targeted marketing/positioning materials. To achieve high-quality results, the Proposal Writer will work collaboratively and iteratively with proposal team members from across MEDA.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Partnerships and Business Development (PNBD), the Proposal Writer collaborates with other members of the PNBD, Global Programs, and Technical teams, and stakeholders in other departments, focusing on direct writing/editing support and harmonization of proposals and other PNBD materials in alignment with the PNBD strategy. The Proposal Writer is a synthesist and sense-maker who guides the reader through the complexity of a technical proposal to secure new revenues.
- Job Status: Full Time
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Location: North America (Hybrid/Remote)
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Lead writer for assigned opportunities, and/or section writer on pre-positioning and proposal efforts in response to donor solicitations, expressions of interest, and sources sought notifications, including outlining, drafting, developing, and finalizing written narrative
- Works closely with MEDA country and technical staff and partners to synthesize relevant content from different contributors into a cohesive and comprehensive proposal
- Develops and/or reviews proposal outlines, ensuring compliance with donor solicitation requirements
- Draft materials for teams engaging with funders for oral presentations and/or co-creation activities (e.g. slide decks and succinct responses to funder questions/feedback).
- Outlines, drafts, develops, and edits content for other non-proposal PNBD-related communications including materials for internal and external audiences
- Liaises with the Marketing & Communications team to promote synergy of PNBD and strategic communications strategies and messaging priorities
- Works with PNBD team members to conceptualize, develop, write, and edit short resources for effective job knowledge and skills development
- Recommends process or capacity improvements related to PNBD-focused proposal writing
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
Education: University degree in Marketing, Communications, Business, Journalism, or related field.
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in proposal writing, ideally within the field of international development. Experience writing proposals for donors such as Global Affairs Canada, USAID, North American based foundations, or European based donors considered a strong asset. Experience writing in one or more of the following areas thematic areas is an advantage: agriculture and food systems, food security, innovative finance.
Technical: Expertise in audience-focused writing and communication, including adapting writing and editorial style for different donor audiences and careful application of organizational style and formatting standards. Proven ability to analyze donor and client solicitation requirements, develop responsive outlines, and successfully write competitive and compelling proposals
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision and values.
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working cross functionally across departments to complete assignments
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Knowledge of donor-specific priorities and terminology
- Project management skills, the ability to establish priorities, set and manage schedules, and coordinate multiple projects at one time
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills
- English language fluency (written and oral) required
Please apply here
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, by 4:00 pm EDT
This job description is being finalized and will be shared with candidates selected for final interviews.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodations make their needs known in advance.