Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Start Date: September 2022
Placement Length: 9 Months
Language Requirements: English Level 5-Fluent
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada Only
The Volunteer’s Role
As a volunteer, you will provide technical support to our partner, Grace & Staff Community Development Foundation, in implementing monitoring and evaluation systems to strengthen and measure its capacity and then optimize its services to youth across Jamaica.
Your support will help in building the capacity to becoming a robust, sustainable NGO through enhanced monitoring and evaluation systems which will in turn increase their impact on the community and the young people they serve.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conduct a needs assessment of current M&E systems in place for programming
- Lead in developing M&E documents for tracking program impact and beneficiaries
- Training of staff in the use of M&E tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in Program Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, International Development, or another relevant field
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects
- Experience in program implementation
- Strong oral, written and communication skills
- Experience working on community-related projects
What’s in it for YOU? A life-changing experience!
About Us, the Project and the Partner
Cuso International is a not-for-profit development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality. Each year, we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals to work alongside local partners to maximize their impact through capacity building. We work in partnership with governments, civil society organizations, multilateral agencies and the private sector to develop and deliver programs aimed at advancing gender equality, promoting the empowerment of women and girls, and improving access to and quality of economic opportunities for young people.
Project - Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE)
Cuso International will deliver the Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE) project, with a contribution from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) over seven years (2020-2027). SHARE aims to improve the economic and/or social well-being of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people, particularly women and girls, in developing countries, with a view to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. In addition to increasing engagement of Canadians in international development and key global issues, this project will aim to increase the performance of country partners to deliver more inclusive, innovative and environmentally sustainable development initiatives that advance gender equality, in support of the action areas of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
Partner - Grace & Staff Community Development Foundation
Grace & Staff Community Development Foundation is a joint project between management and staff, to facilitate the development of communities that border GraceKennedy's offices. Each company within the group, and its staff make a direct and personal input in the development of the communities around them, in order to help in the process of creating and sustaining community relations.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending on country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication, and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
- Please note that if you are shortlisted for the placement, you will be required to:
- Provide two Professional References and one Personal Reference
- Complete an oral assessment during your preliminary telephone interview in the language required for your placement
- Obtain a Police Check at our request
- Complete a full medical exam and be medically cleared by the Cuso International Medical Advisor prior to your departure
- Due to the COVID-19 situation, be double vaccinated in accordance with the World Health Organization-approved vaccines.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.