The Accounts Payable Coordinator position exists to help MEDA achieve its mission. Specifically, the Accounts Payable Coordinator provides organizational support to achieve MEDA’s financial and compliance requirements. The Accounts Payable Coordinator helps to ensure the overall success of MEDA’s accounting, compliance and treasury functions.
- Job Status: Full Time, 18 Month Contract
- Start Date: May/June 2023
- Location: Waterloo, Ontario (hybrid work arrangement available)
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Corporate Accounts Payable (75%)
- Set up and maintenance of accounts payable vendor information in compliance with MEDA’s policies and procedures, while maintaining an approved preferred vendor list in Canada and US entities.
- Ensure accounts payable vendor records are maintained in accordance with corporate policies.
- Ensure invoices presented for payment on a weekly basis are matched to purchase orders, if necessary, have been correctly coded, and have been appropriately authorized in compliance with the Signing Authority Policies.
- Generate weekly ACH/EFT payment batches in a timely manner while meeting supplier payment terms and avoiding late payment or interest charges.
- Prepare weekly international wire payments to MEDA country projects and partners, ensuring appropriate authorizations have been received in accordance with the Signing Authority Policies.
- Prepare ad hoc cheque payments, ensuring approvals are provided, and circulate cheques for signatures before issuing payment.
- Liaise with external vendors, resolving any account queries with supplier account reconciliations in a courteous and timely manner, and developing favourable vendor relationships.
- Provide AP support to country offices, providing onboarding training for new employees, and continued refresher training for incumbent employees as MEDA transitions to a new ERP system.
- Periodically checking system workflows to ensure invoices are being routed to the appropriate users, including Purchase Orders are adequately being used when required.
- Comply with financial management and reporting framework, finance, and audit policies.
- Ensure that donor proposals, contracts, investments, partnerships, expenditures, advances and other legal and supporting documents are approved and monitored as per Signing Authority Policies, when presented for payment.
Employee Expense Statements and Advances (10%)
- Process approved employee expense reports in accordance with MEDA policies and procedures ensuring correct expense and tax allocations. Validate employee advance requests in a timely manner and issue payment via ACH/EFT or cheque in requested currency.
- Prepare, validate, and reconcile corporate credit card monthly expense reports, following up on omitted supporting documents and authorizations.
- Reconcile corporate travel billings to expense reports, ensuring appropriate documentation is received for each trip according to donor requirements.
Month-end Support (5%)
- Prepare relevant account reconciliations, including inter-company account reconciliation.
- Ensure appropriate accruals are recorded for expenses incurred and not yet presented for payment.
- On a monthly basis review the AP aging reports to ensure no payments are overdue and follow up as required.
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned.
Education: Post-secondary education in accounting, or equivalent qualification.
Experience: Minimum two (2) years of accounting or accounts payable experience
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Demonstrated knowledge in financial systems and practices, accounting procedures, and account payable procedures and regulations.
- Strong MS office knowledge with emphasis on excel skills.
- Proven skills in interpersonal communication, cost allocation and typing.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 9:00 am Eastern Time. Please apply here
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.