Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Role: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Head Office
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
As a global leader in international development consulting, Cowater strives to be the employer of choice in our industry - attracting, developing, and retaining the best and brightest. With offices in Ottawa, Montreal and London (UK), Cowater is seeking a bilingual HR Manager/Director to manage the HR function across all offices and to: (1) develop, implement and champion strategic HR programs and policies (2) develop and implement employee performance management and engagement initiatives (3) prepare and oversee employment contracts ensuring compliance with company policies as well as applicable laws or regulations for all offices and (4) support headquarter staffing priorities and associated recruitment processes.
Role Description: The Human Resources Manager will support senior leadership as the go-to person for all employee-related matters for the Company, handling all duties with the utmost confidentiality. Key responsibilities include:
Culture and Performance Management:
- Develop an employee-oriented and positive company culture of performance that emphasizes continuous improvement, team-work, knowledge sharing, and quality;
- Develop and maintain strategic HR programs and policies aligned to business needs and objectives;
- Orchestrate new staff onboarding, training, and policy compliance;
- Manage offboarding processes, including exit interviews;
- Support full recruitment cycle, including online portals, job descriptions, candidate communication, interviews, and contracts;
- Provide coaching to employees and their supervisors regarding their career progression within the company;
- Handle and support employee relations and address grievances;
- Develop, implement, and report on programs to measure, improve, and reward employee performance;
- Work with managers and people leaders to identify, evaluate, and resolve human relations, employee morale, work performance, and productivity concerns; and,
- Provide HR support (coaching, advice, guidance etc.) to supervisors on the management and resolution of employee performance issues.
HR Management and Compliance
- Review, draft and complete employment agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements and amendments;
- Oversee and validate the accuracy of the payroll process, ensuring all changes and adjustments are accurately captured;
- Administer comprehensive employee benefits, maintaining responsibility for the enrollment, changes, and education of employees regarding their benefits package.
- Liaise with insurance benefit providers;
- Maintain HR records, policies, and compliance;
- Provide support across functional and operational teams;
- Monitor labour and employment law compliance; and
- Undertake other required projects and tasks.
- Bachelor Degree in a relevant specialty;
- 7+ years of progressive experience in a similar role; and
- CHRP or CHRL designation desirable.
- Bilingual in French and English considered an asset
- experience working within a global organization would be an asset;
- visa and immigration experience would be an asset;
- comfortable working in a stand-alone role;
- sound judgement, with a high degree of professionalism and ethics;
- knowledge of employment standards and best employment practices in both Ontario and Quebec, as well as awareness of the importance of jurisdictional HR approaches;
- ability to adapt client-specific requirements into templates and best practices;
- excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- expertise in change management with the ability to influence others;
- strong writing skills;
- ability to manage tasks for multiple locations; and
- highly organized.
The Benefits of Working with Cowater:
- Hybrid workplace;
- Competitive compensation;
- A comprehensive benefits package including extended medical benefits, Long-term disability insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, and an employee assistance program;
- Relaxed dress code; and
- Company wide teambuilding activities & social events.
- Competitive compensation aligned with level of experience.
Applications can be made through Cowater's website here. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We thank all applicants however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.